Friday, March 7, 2014

More Furniture Fabulousness with Moldings and Appliques


We decided to carry Efex moldings and appliques at Maison Decor after trying 
them out. I did a mantle makeover using the Efex moldings and was blown away!
So I wanted to do another project, and one I could keep in the shop to 
show customers how awesome these moldings and appliques are.
An old oak bookcase I bought at auction a few months ago has been
in our warehouse.  This would make an ideal display case for Efex decorative
moldings. No, this bookcase turned display case was not an old french piece,
it was as basic as they come, and was a bit worn out looking before I transformed it.
 Yup~here it is in the before photo, but at this point Colin had cut pegboard and removed 
the shelves and attached the pegboard to the back of the bookcase.  He started painting the interior
with Graphite Chalk Paint® by Annie Sloan when I realized I didn't have a before pic.
 While Colin painted the interior, I applied the contact cement to both the decorative strip molding as well as a pair of decorative drops on each side and then for good measure I added a beaded molding at 
the top of the crown area.
 It only takes 15-20 minutes to wait for the contact cement to set up before you put the molding 
onto it's intended surface.  Then after an hour I started painting it with Paris Grey Chalk Paint.
  This is my instagram photo of it in progress.  If you want to catch some behind the scenes Maison Decor stuff and you do instagram, you can follow me at amymaisondecor or  you can follow the store at shopmaisondecor.  It was looking amazing as soon as the paint was covering the moldings!
 After it was done, I wanted to step it up a bit, and do some of that layered moldings I see
on old world pieces via pinterest searches or in magazines.
Look at how these moldings are laid over one another. 
 It inspired me to do the same with the bookcase display.
I just traced the area around the applique into the position I wanted
and then added cement to both surfaces over the other moldings and 
onto the wood part of the bookcase. It easily attaches to the other moldings 
and what a fabulous look!! I have another project I plan to do next
as this was so exciting to create and watch this simple bookcase
take on the look of an old world piece.
I used to shell style pieces to bookend a rose swag that I turned upside 
down. Normally that piece would be mounted as a smile shape,
not an eyebrow shape.  
I could have easily done the entire top in a layered mode,
but instead its a centerpiece.
The finished case holding the Efex moldings.
Painted in Paris Grey Chalk Paint and then clear and dark wax finish.
Its exciting stuff!  My mantle inspired a lovely customer to come in the shop
and get a bunch of moldings to do hers.  We talked about how best to fit
the pieces on her mantle, and I hope to share her results right here.
What was kind of bizarre was after talking, her brother works 
with my husband on the police force and the same shift! 
Recreate your pieces using Efex moldings like I did with this bookcase and my mantle.
 Its as easy as 1 - 2 - 3!


Photobucket

15 comments:

  1. Amy it looks wonderful, as usual you have my heart's turning

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy it looks wonderful, as usual you have my heart's turning

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a difference the mouldings (and paint) make! It is now a beautiful piece!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these, Amy! I'm going to take a look at my new "gentleman" dresser in my guest room because I just know that there's room for some appliques on him to make him look pretty! :)

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy- THAT looks fabulous. That darn Colin. You tell him he needs to WAIT for pictures! lol He is a talented young man, too.

    Congrats on carrying appliques and moldings in your store. It is fun to watch you grow, Amy. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great Amy,
    I bet the Efex would work great on some of my personal mini opera French théâtres.
    Lové how it dresser up your display unit.

    See you soon and all the beauty you inspire.

    Xx
    Doré

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pas. Your living room mantel looks fabulous, my kind of art.

    Xx
    Doré

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful transformation Amy! I am percolating with ideas.....Vanna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love everything you do--If we had a Maison Decor around here it would be my favorite place!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW!!!!! You have found your calling, you are amazing with what you are doing over there. Totally blown away by the beauty, you are so talented Amy! I am dying for one of these pieces..love the color too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome!!! I cannot wait to do a project!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amy, that looks beautiful! I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful! A perfect display!

    Gigi @ Old World Patina

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! I love using these appliqués to enhance a plain piece of furniture!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great display case. Genius idea to use the pegboard on the back. It's stunning, Amy. Another fabulous piece with your beautiful moldings.

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...